Who We Are and What We Offer
GreenTree Peer Center is a social space that offers peer to peer support, wellness education, and inclusive relationships with people from across our Winston-Salem community. Its aim is to help people gain their best health through community engagement that is focused on mental well being and life in progress!
GreenTree Peers' Organizational Values
GreenTree Peer Center is a place where social connection and self-help activities result in the recovery of well being. Through results and advocacy, we help our local Forsyth County community become one that supports mental health recovery and wellness for its citizens.
GreenTree helps people become their best, healthiest selves through peer to peer support and community engagement.
We offer a free, safe, and open environment where people are validated and grow through social connection, wellness education, and self-advocacy opportunities that help people to live more meaningfully as members of the Winston-Salem community.
Principles That Guide Us
CONNECTION: Social connection is one of the most important vehicle for growth and recovery as people engage in relationships with others, with their growing environment, and with the communities they choose to enter.
SELF-DETERMINATION: Each person is supported and empowered to realize his own agency and responsibility for growth and change.
THE DIGNITY OF RISK: People do not grow if they do not take chances. We must accept new challenges, take new actions so we do not stagnate. Risks are often made easier with personal safety nets established.
SAFETY: People are comfortable to share personal experiences without fear of judgment. Their personal safety is a priority.
TRAUMA SENSITIVE: The role of trauma as a factor in physical illness and mental turmoil is respected and people are safe to share or not to share experiences. The environment reflects support and social comfort.
THE PEER PRINCIPLE: By helping others, we ourselves are helped. By giving, we gain!
HEALTH IS WHOLISTIC AND INTEGRATED: The health of the mind impacts the body and the health of the body impacts the mind. Paths and practices for wellness can be learned from many sources and supported by our peers.
Intentional Activity that fosters better well-being!
Green Tree Peer Center supports its community members toward personal growth and increased well-being while decreasing need for crisis support. Among these offerings are:
- Peer to peer support
- Reduction of fear and the development of hope, recovery, and trust by being through open but completely confidential dialogue.
- Open round table discussions of mental health issues and other issues that encourage engagement and support.
- Outside presentations to provide and up-to-date information to educate and inform about other resources.
- Empowerment through education and reinforcement of people's personal rights and and protecting them as well as coping with stigma.
- To reduce isolation caused by mental health disorders by encouraging social events such as pot luck dinners, movie nights, outings, or any group type activity
- Encourage 'low-impact' exercising to improve members self-respect and overall (mind, body, spirit) wellness.
- 'How to' discussions, such as cooking, saving money tips, personal hygiene, and etiquette to improve members self-sustainability